While much is still unknown about breast cancer, much is known about how to reduce the risk of the disease. For women of all ages, these healthy lifestyle guidelines are important for breast cancer, and many other health concerns.
- Maintain a healthy weight and be physically active
- Eat a healthy diet including whole grains, fruit and vegetables
- Limit the consumption of alcoholic drinks to no more than one per day
- For women over 40, have a yearly mammogram
- For women younger than 40, have a breast exam by a health professional at least every three years
Today, millions of women are surviving breast cancer, and millions more are taking steps to prevent breast cancer through self exams, mammograms and healthy lifestyles. The American Cancer Society is a great resource for information about breast cancer. Click below to learn more about breast cancer: